Saturday, May 15, 2010

Tac Quick

I'd been to Tac Quick once before, and this past week when I felt like a decent dinner out it came to mind as a place worth revisiting. I recalled a large menu with interesting specials & well done entrees. It repeated a good performance, giving me a good dinner out for not much cash.

The Place
Tac Quick is just about directly underneath the Sheridan redline stop. Inside is hardwood & nice tables. It feels urban enough and the glass front maintains that city setting with its view. I like the simple decor & felt it a good setting. They also have pretty impressive stemware for wine--always a plus.

The Food
On my first visit, I'd had the fish cakes (can't remember the Thai name--sorry) appetizer & Basil Duck special. Both were very good. This go around we had grilled octopus as an app. The meat was good, and the dipping sauce served with it packed a punch. My date & I split the clay pot noodle dish and both enjoyed it. Big shrimp, plenty of veggies, and tasty noodles. With mild heat, it was a tasty entree. Notably, Grilled Snails were a special of the day that tempted us, but we refrained.

The Wine
Thai food = heat; heat = sweeter wine. On my first trip I took an off-dry German Riesling that did great with my spicy duck & the heated fish cakes. This go around, I brought an Austrian Riesling that was a little too dry to handle the heat of the dipping sauce beside our appetizer, but worked great with the entree.

I'd look for an off-dry German Riesling here. Urbans-Hoff bottlings are a widely available, affordable option that I can recommend. Stepping up to Zindt-Humbrecht can give a higher-end option worth the extra bucks. Or, ask your wine merchant for a German Riesling with some residual sugar, but not more than medium sweetness. They'll probably hand you something with "Auslese" or "Spatlese" on the label--this means it has noticeable sweetness, which in our case means it will pair great with Thai heat.

The Sum
Tac Quick is great affordable Thai food with interesting specials and they do a great job covering the basics. Try out a special or give your favorite Thai dish a try here and my experiences tell me it won't disappoint. $2 corkage is reasonable and it's a great place to showcase a tasty Riesling. Worth the trip, which is an easy one if you're taking the redline, and worth the few bucks for a good atmosphere & enjoyable dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment