Friday, March 23, 2012

Finest Binge: Marea

This marked my 2nd visit to Marea, both for lunch.  On this trip we came in around 2 o'clock and sat at the bar.  Coming off of a disappointing night at Eleven Madison Park, I looked forward to the comforting pasta.

We began with Polipo; grilled octopus.  The smoked potatoes were delicious and the octopus was meaty & tender--a great start.  Then came pastas, 3 of them: Fusili, Spaghetti, and Agnolotti.  The Fusili was as I remembered it: savory, rich, and full of flavor.  Probably the best pasta dish I've ever had.  The spaghetti was almost as good; the crab was a tasty addition.  The Agnolotti (a version not yet on the menu) was very impressive--a sausage filling & lentil puree brought spot-on saltiness and texture.  After a morning spent wandering the chilly city, these three pasta dishes were soulfully satisfying.

Next came a scallop dish.  The scallops were perfectly cooked and the many flavors on the plate worked well together--I'd have no hesitation eating this again.  Lastly, two plates appeared, each having both the carrot ("carota") and doughnut ("bomboloni") desserts on them.  Overly full and pressed for time, I recall these both being quite good but don't remember specifics.  Based on my earlier, November visit to Marea, in which I was served a mashup of several desserts in one bowl, I would not hesitate to order anything from the dessert menu--all of them have been perfect finishers.

The last of our weekend's Michelin starred New York meals, Marea absolutely hit the mark.  Great food, a refined & buzzing atmosphere, and enjoyable service were perfect on this occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment