Tuesday, February 2, 2010

HB Home Bistro

When a friend reached out for restaurant locations to hold a wine dinner, Home Bistro was at the top of my list. The menu changes frequently to focus on seasonal ingredients & recipes and the atmosphere is cozy and vibrant. It is a great spot for a small group or for a dinner leaning toward romantic. This was my third trip to Home Bistro and I have always walked away impressed.

The Place
Located in a small space right in the heart of Boystown, HB could easily feel hectic or cramped but it avoids any negatives potentially caused by the bustling location and limited footage. Soft yellow walls, warm wood tones, and candle light certainly help. Normally I wouldn't recommend for a group of more than 4 (and I'd even call in a reso for 2 on the weekends) but my party visited on a Thursday night. This afforded us a large table in the back corner and a few hours to enjoy dinner without feeling pressured.

The Food
HB serves up Modern American fare, often with an interesting variety of proteins. My first two trips I had veal osso bucco & a rabbit stew--both perfectly cooked & in interesting preparations--and on this trip I had spiced lamb sausage.
Here are a few thoughts for the best experience:
--Always listen to the specials; they're often well-inspired creations.
--Get an appetizer and/or dessert. These are usually traditional dishes with interesting twists worth the tariff.
--Converse with the waiter. He knows what he's talking about and gives an honest opinion. He's also open to discussing alterations; this has resulted in once getting a small sample of truffle oiled fries & another time receiving 3 small servings of bread pudding for dessert instead of experiencing just a single flavor (they were all perfection in gooey form).

My recent lamb sausage on white beans:
Photobucket

The Wine
Dark tones (brown sugar, cinnamon, woody herbs) and braising/roasting are present in many dishes here. For a red wine, I'd suggest a California Pinot Noir or Italian Barbaresco. Ask at nearby Kafka or Gourmet Grape for a "medium bodied wine with rich dark red flavors and tight/focused structure." The food is friendly to all kinds of wine so don't be afraid to take any bottle you're in the mood for, but Cali Pinot is where I would lean.
On the white side, the preparations are a bit more varied--I'd go toward a bubbly for its flexibility or a crisp white Rhone blend (the latter worked well for me in October).

The End
Interesting selections of meat well-prepared with interesting complimentary flavors--I'm in! This is in my rotation to visit every few months as I know I will find a creative dish perfectly suited to the season & my craving. The chef and staff are always knowledgeable & friendly (they were extremely accommodating of our large, slow-moving group with 15 bottles). I highly recommend a visit to check out the plenty of good opportunities to explore on Home Bistro's menu. Enter with a willingness to try something new or unique and I'm sure you will enjoy what you find.

Wines I enjoyed at HB a few months back:
2007 Phillips Hill Pinot Noir Oppenlander Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (10/30/2009)
Nose has a bit of earth behind raspberries & other dark red fruits. These carry onto the palate, which has good weight but not quite the typical Pinot structure I expect...not bad, just unexpected. Finishes with dark red fruits, comfortable acidity, and some vibrant baking spices. Finish shows great length to it.
Good mix of flavors in a weighty package. Only had this open 30 minutes before drinking (no decant) and I suspect more time will serve it well. All the pieces are there, but currently its weight denies it from showing nuances or layers. Regardless, a great bottle that managed to pair well with a braised rabbit dish. (90 pts.)

2008 Coume del Mas Côtes du Roussillon Cristine - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Côtes du Roussillon (10/30/2009)
Pretty nose of flowers, white peach, fresh herbs and a backdrop of other white fruits as well. Hits the mouth with great density, a viscous / silky texture, and lots of good white fruit & flowers. A touch of green herb or grass shows in there too, beneath all the other flavors. Smooth transition to a finish that has great length and adds a touch of salinity & proper acidity. Honey flavors show up as well (but not sweetness). Very pretty, great length, intriguing mix of flavors throughout. "It is an equal part blend of Roussanne, Marsanne, Macabeu and Grenache Gris(92 pts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment